This article shows administrators how to update picklists for data objects in the system.
To access and update picklist values for all data objects:
- Access the Setup Menu via the dropdown list at the top of the interface.
- Search for the word "Object" to find the Object Manager via Quick Find.
- Click into the Object Manager and you'll see a list of all data objects will appear in the main body of the interface.
- Click on the Name of the object that you'd like to view.
- Scoll down to the Fields & Relationships section of the object.
- You can see which fields are picklists in the Data Type column of the table. Select a field by clicking on the Field Label.
After clicking into the field you'll be presented with the details of the field and several options to make updates:
- Click the Edit Link to update an exising picklist value.
- Click the Deactivate Link to deactivate a picklist value.
- Click the New Button to create a new value.
- Click Reorder to order your picklist values.
Be careful to not delete picklist values that are currently populating records in your system. In this case it is best practice to simply deactivate the value.
Adding New Values
To add a new value click on the New Button. You'll then be presented with the screen below.
- Add each new value on a new line.
- If you have different record types for the selected data object you can specify which record types you'd like the value to appear in.
- Click Save to add the new values.
Reordering the Picklist
To reorder your picklist or set a default value click the Reorder Button and you'll be presented with the screen below.
- Update the order using the arrows or tick the checkbox to sort by alphabetical order.
- Select a Default Value to automatically populate the field with a value whenever a record is created.
It's best practice to update the order of the list whenever you add new values. Alphabetical order is commonly used to make it easier for users or you can set an order based on an organisation process.